Support our parks and our NYC Parks Department!!
From NY4Parks :
“We encourage you to testify in support of four bills at an upcoming parks hearing on
Wednesday, March 1, at 1:00PM.
The hearing will take place in the Committee Room, City Hall, New York, NY and via Zoom.
Int. No. 7 would make NYC Parks recreation centers free and more accessible to young adults ages 18-24.
Int. No. 576 would codify the reporting process for cleanliness of public bathrooms in NYC, including in park comfort stations.
– Mayor Adams and the City Council must allocate 1% of the city budget for NYC Parks to address longstanding maintenance and staffing needs and to achieve an equitable twenty-first century parks system.
– Recreation center programming and amenities provide critical opportunities for youth development through exercise, education, and socialization. To be truly equitable, these facilities must be free and accessible to all young people regardless of financial status.
– Accessible and convenient public bathrooms are a matter of public health. Comfort stations in parks must include essential amenities for parents and guardians of babies and small children.
– Unsanitary and unsafe comfort stations reflect insufficient funding for NYC Parks maintenance and operations. Codifying the public bathroom reporting process in addition to allocating 1% of the city budget for NYC Parks is necessary to improve and maintain consistent sanitary conditions and increase the agency’s capacity to service comfort stations.
– Urban agriculture in community gardens and urban farms supports education, community building, nutrition, and climate mitigation. We must invest in and expand urban agriculture to make these programs accessible to all New Yorkers.