From Daily News:
“A red-tailed hawk died after it ate rat poison that was likely left in a city park, according to a necropsy report the Daily News obtained Wednesday.
The majestic male was found ill inside Sarah Roosevelt Park in lower Manhattan and brought to the Animal Medical Center in Lenox Hill on Jan. 4.
The city’s Parks Department has agreed to use old-fashioned snap traps during the hawk breeding season, from April to August”
We’ve had juvenile Red Hawks die of eating poisoned rats before. We have asked the Dept of Health to allow dry ice to be used to stop rats (they have final say – not Parks). It works and is poison-free. Better for Hawks, People, Animals and Environment.