The Sara D. Roosevelt Park Coalition brings together local stakeholders who seek to foster community-based stewardship by providing a voice for all who love the park and the communities it serves. With community input, we solve problems, offer positive solutions, and preserve the vital role the park plays in our lives.
Yearly or Ad Hoc as needed.
Requirements for Membership:
Proven commitment to the SDR Park Coalition, shown in part, by:
- Abiding by the guidelines of the Sara Roosevelt Park Coalition
- Active Community organizations that are within or surround Sara Roosevelt Park (including tenant associations, small businesses, not for profits, large businesses that have an immediate stake in the Park who have accessible local representatives, etc.) who keep informed through minutes of Coalition meetings with Parks Department, contribute to and attend activities within the Park, etc. Without informed participation members, representatives and Coalition leadership will not be able to make aware judgments on Coalition decisions.
Means of becoming a Full Member:
- Attend meetings, keep informed of Park issues and events by joining the mailing list to receive updates and minutes from Park Operations meetings, participate and contribute to activities and events within and for the Park or otherwise maintain an active role. We recognize that our members are community organizations that have full time roles in the neighborhood. The Coalition’s work intends to be a seamless addition to that work, not an extra burden, but awareness of and participation in the work of fulfilling our mission is needed and required.
- Vice President(s) (as needed or wanted by membership)
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Secretary (as needed)
- Treasurer: (as needed – no funding stream to date)
- Website Coordinator
- Committees and Committee Chairs (as needed or wanted by membership)
President: President for two- year terms. Renewable at annual meeting
- Advocacy on behalf of the Sara Roosevelt Coalition and its membership
- Liaison to Parks, Partnership for Parks, DOT, Community Board 3, and other government, civic and business groups (or delegate task to a responsible member)
- Insure the Sara Roosevelt Coalition members are aware of Parks/DOT or other government agency regulations (or delegate task to a responsible member)
- Create agendas and chair meetings (or delegate task to a responsible member)
- Consult with membership on issues confronting the SDR Coalition
- Encourage involvement (along with all members)
- Consult with Website coordinator (or delegate task to a responsible member)
- Management of day to day business of the organization or delegate necessary tasks
- Take required action between meetings.
- Call meetings on ad hoc basis as needed.
Vice President(s): Works with all Coalition Members and insures President is aware of issues for constituencies involved in the Park.
Secretary: Will take notes as needed at meetings. Send out reminder in advance of meetings.
Treasurer: Maintains records of all fund raising monies and expenditures. Reports on status at the annual meetings of the Sara Roosevelt Park Coalition meetings. There is no funding stream at this time.
Voting Members: Full Members who fulfill the requirements of membership and keep President and membership informed of their organizations needs/issues with SDR Park. Members act in good faith on behalf of their constituents and follow the core mission of the Sara Roosevelt Coalition.
Website Coordinator: organizes and keeps up to date Sara Roosevelt Coalition website in consultation with the President and other officers.
Volunteer Coordinator: coordinates with Parks Department on projects on behalf of the SDR Park.
Committee heads: In agreement with the President and membership, every member is encouraged to take charge of some aspect of the SDR Coalitions work (assuming it doesn’t conflict with SDR Coalition guidelines or Parks Department regulations!).
Committees: members are welcomed and encouraged to start or join committees to further advocacy of the Park.
Friends of SDR Park Coalition: organizations who are interested in helping with the work but are not able to commit fully are welcome.
How decisions are made:
- At the annual meeting the membership will vote for President and any other officers necessary.
- Quorum: In the general meetings, by majority vote (51%). No less than 10 members present and in good standing.
- Proxy voting: Written proxy on an issue is allowed from members in good standing.
Process by which by-laws are changed:
- Every two years the membership has the option to ratify or choose to alter these by-laws at the last meeting of the year. This assumes any changes won’t conflict with /Parks regulations or conflict with the mission of the Sara Roosevelt Park Coalition.
- Changes can be made by a majority vote (51%) of the membership.
- Process by which leaders or members can be removed and reasons for removal (below).
- Process by which a President or other chair can be removed: by a majority vote by the general membership of Full Members. Reasons for removal (below).
- Process by which an SDR Park Coalition member can be removed: The President and Vice Presidents (if they exist at the time), in consultation with the membership, will meet with the member at least once to assist in any difficulty. If the destructive behavior continues the President and Vice President will ask the representative of the organization or the organization (depending on circumstances) to leave.
Reasons for removal:
- Lack of participation of Coalition members with the work of the Coalition. Members lead active community organizations and enterprises and will not be expected to attend every event or meeting, but without active participation in some form (keeping up with written minutes of meetings with Parks, participation in some activities within the Park, etc) members will not be informed enough to exercise judgment on important community decisions.
- Destructive behavior towards Sara Roosevelt Park, the membership (including the leadership of the Sara Roosevelt Park Coalition) cannot be tolerated. Lively interaction, rigorous debate on policies and programs, disagreements and constructive feedback is welcomed and encouraged, deliberate attacks on individuals, the group or the Park are not. We will disagree at times but our goal is to work to come to just resolutions of any conflict.
- Failure to abide by the Sara Roosevelt Park Coalition guidelines and/or Parks regulations.
Members who wish to resign from the Coalition should do so in writing (email is fine and will be forwarded to the group).