- Conversion of Stanton Street Park Store House to Community Center for Youth with bathrooms open to the public.
- Conversion of the Hester SDR Park building for use as a community Center.
- Repair, maintain, and renovate the Rivington Street playground.
- Repair of sink holes surrounding SDR Park
- Repair roof drainage of BRC Senior Center.
- Ensure adequate heating during winter months in Parks buildings.
- Repair sprinkler!
- Repair of the so-called Nike field with additional markings for softball.
- Gate around the fountains behind the Stanton Street Building (to protect the fountains from being used as a restroom).
QUALITY OF LIFE CONCERNS:
- Re-instate the local Police Officer patrols throughout the SDR Park. Officers who know the Park are far more effective in preventing crime than “sweeps” or intermittent involvement.
- Insure the safety of Park goers and the usage of scarce Park space for recreation in the Broome Street cross street area where Parks and personal employee vehicles are often parked.
- Security camera installation in at-risk areas
- Prevent further saturation alongside the Park of bars and nightclubs.
- Rat abatement. Along with consistent garbage collection in and around the Park.
ACCESSIBILITY, OUTREACH, AND PROGRAMMING
- All SDR Park signage in English/Chinese/Spanish
- Ongoing outreach to ensure the neighborhood has input into these goals!
- Take measures to sustain the diverse, vibrant established communities that reside in the area. Don’t use “revitalization” as a code word for gentrification and the destruction of the existing community.
- Insure the narrow strip of Parkland is not boxed in with out of scale high rises that directly abut and surround the Park putting this precious sunlit strip of greenery in artificial shade. Depriving Park users of much needed access to sunlight.
- Research and implement full recreational and productive uses of the Park to combat problem areas (such as a Greenmarket for the front of the BRC).
- Work to make our Park a model of sustainable practices: including implementing recycling throughout the Park.
- Establish/strengthen mutually beneficial relationships with local businesses (letters of support, in-kind donations, monetary donations)
- Redesign plans of Park areas undertaken community input included in all phases and stages of development.
- Preservation of Community run areas of the Park: BRC Senior Center, The Bird Sanctuary, M’Finda Kalunga Community Garden, and other areas traditionally gardened by the community. This insures that the uniqueness of this park is protected and honored and that the local community maintains a strong connection to the maintenance of the park.
- As often, and whenever possible, encouraging neighborhood stewardship through community volunteerism to help Parks Manager maintain the Park or continue to maintain other park areas.